Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New York, New York

Luke 11
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.'

This past weekend Bruce and I went to a wedding in New Jersey. While we were there, I had the opportunity to go into New York City. I love going to New York. All the lights, the excitement, different walks of life are found in New York.

This was probably the third or fourth time that I have been in the city. And each time I go, I never come back with a shopping bag. My day has been totally filled with seeing all kinds of things, but yet I always feel that I should have done more. Next time I will definitely go in with a plan. Next time I will research and find exactly what I want to see and do and just concentrate on doing that versus just going to the City and just scrambling and just hitting the surface spots. I want to explore more. I want the City that never sleeps to come alive and I want to leave satisfied.

As I was leaving the Big Apple, I thought, wow, this can be related to how people seek God’s word. They don’t go in with a plan. Their daily time with God is skimmed over with a quick sentence through a devotional book and then they are off doing daily life. My friend, let me share with you how much you are missing when you don’t go in with a plan. When you don’t take the time to read God’s word. The Bible will never, ever become more than “feel good” words on a page. We need to dig deeper. The Bible is a living word. It is so alive and three dimensional. Open it up; take the time to really read it. Research a topic that is heavy on your heart. Are you angry, tempted, depressed, impatient? All of those things are my papercuts. God has a lot to say about each and every one of them. Don’t just skim and hit the surface. Dive in, look in the back of the concordance, research and read. Go shopping in your Bible and I promise you will come out with all sorts of bags filled with lots of really, really good things that will fulfill you until your next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment