Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Birthday

Matthew 6
9 Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.' 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.'

Last night my husband and I took my mother in law out to dinner. The reason why we went to dinner was to celebrate my husband’s father’s birthday. He would have been 80 years old. He left this earth 13 years ago. As you can imagine dinner was filled with sorrow and laughter last night recalling small details of his life. They both talk about him with such a smile that seems to linger into thought. Both of them loved him so much and feel proud to not only call him Dad and husband, but best friend.

I didn’t get the privilege of knowing him. He had already passed on when I met my husband. But I have heard the stories and shared in some of the laughter. He was so generous. If he had two nickels in his pocket, he not only would give one away, but he would give both. He had such a kind heart. I see that in my husband. He was a strong person with a big build and big hands. Hard worker. Dearly, dearly loved by so many people.

As I am listening to both of their memories, I start to think of my memories of my dad. And I realize that I really don’t have that many memories. I know that he loved me and I have hung on to that for years and years and years. Some other memories that I have are not ones that I really want to remember. My mom and dad divorced when I was five. I never heard from him again and then he passed away. I don’t even know where he was laid to rest.

As my thoughts started to linger, God sweetly talked to me and told me “I am your father and I have never left you”. How beautiful. How comforting. But then I started thinking….My husband knew his father deeply, how well do I really know my father, God. So I went to the Bible and started a journey. I was and still am determined to look up every verse that has God in it. I am pretty sure that I know who God is, but I really want to know who He is. What are His thoughts, His actions, His desires. Here are just a few things that I have found out about my father:

My dad is the creator of light and darkness, water and sky, dry land, grass, seed and fruit. The creator of the stars, sun, moon, birds, sea creatures and all the animals. He is the creator of man and He gave us dominion over the earth. He blesses, he rests, he sets rules, he also curses. My dad provides. He is all knowing. He punishes but he is very compassionate. My dad grieves. He is so powerful that He can destroy at a whim. He gives me specific instructions. He is the creator of the weather. He never forgets his people. When He promises something, he means it. He created the rainbow. He gave man the ability to bless and to curse. He made all the different languages. He is the creator of plaques. He talks to people in visions and dreams. He tells us not to fear – He is our shield and our reward. My dad is the only judge. He sends us angels. Nothing is too hard for my dad. My dad heals. He controls birth. He listens to our prayers. He preserves life. He sees all sin. He delivers us. He is our teacher. He is the one really in control of our emotions. He is my song, my salvation and He reigns forever and ever.

I am still not finished finding out about Him, but this is what I found out just in the first book of the Bible. I can’t wait to learn more.

While my family grieves over a loved one or one that wasn’t even there, I feel comforted to know that we have a father that is here with us, inside us, protecting us, loving us, teaching us and promises us that He will never, ever leave. As a matter of fact….He is coming back.

Dear Father, thank you for just being you. Thank you for loving us in a way that is needed in our earthly lives. There is no love compared to yours. Thank you for your mercy and your grace. We don’t even deserve it, but you still give it. Thank you for choosing each and every one of us. Thank you for dying on the cross so all of us have a chance to intimately call you dad. You are the one that says “I AM THAT I AM”. Thank you for guiding us and protecting us. We know you are coming back. We are waiting eagerly for that trumpet to blow so we can celebrate a new birthday. In Your powerful and loving name, AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment