Saturday, August 8, 2009

Holsum Bread

John 6
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

I was talking to my daughter in law the other day and she told me a story that just broke my heart. Her and my son are trying to save up to buy a house. I am so glad that they are going to take advantage of this slow economy. Anyway, while paying off debt and clearing their credit, they decided to move out of their apartment and move into a house that my other son had rented and now moved out of. The rent is more than $100.00 less a month and it is really helping them out.

Well, I have been at this house that they are living in. I visited my youngest son several months ago and stayed there for about a week. I really did not enjoy staying there for that long (not because of my son mind you), but I just can’t imagine that two married adults with a child would want to stay there for any length of time. Why you ask? One word…ROACHES.
But being the obedient wife that my daughter in law is, they move in. She cleans the house from top to bottom. Leaves and comes back….droppings….on the counter. She scrubs again and the same thing.

This is the part that tore my heart. They don’t have any money to spend on anything frivolous, but they went to the grocery store and she splurged on a loaf of honey wheat bread. This is her favorite bread. I for one, am hit between the eyes on her version of splurging on a loaf of bread. It was a very humbling thing for me to hear. But I digress. Anyway, she gets the loaf of bread, puts it up high over the counter where the bugs won’t get it. She is so excited to make her toast on her favorite bread and she finds that the bugs ate through the wrapper and feasted on the bread. She was so heart broken, she just wanted to break down right then and there…but she didn’t. She sucked it and went on.

That is exactly what evil looks like to me….ROACHES. We learn to live with them. We know that they are there, lurking and watching. If we start to think about them, we really get freaked out and maybe even feel them crawling over us….or worse, eating our food.

The world is filled with roaches and trust me, they are just waiting to pounce on all of your favorite things. Waiting to penetrate the wrapper and feast. But Jesus says that He is the bread of life, the manna from heaven. Anybody who partakes will be saved. Thankfully, my daughter in law did not lose her focus and we are not to lose our focus either. All of our favorite things are just that, things! The world can and in most cases, will steal, kill and destroy those things. But, if we keep our focus on the true bread, Jesus Christ, then we do have the ability to grin and bear all the things that try and penetrate our wrappers of life.

People, there are always, always going to be things that come into your life that leave you scratching your head saying “what just happened”. There are going to be people that talk about people, people that steal from companies, things that are going to get you upset. So many things can sneak into our everyday life. You don’t even notice it until you realize that half of the loaf of bread has been eaten. Let’s not lose focus on what truly is important. Let’s ask God not what He can do for us today, but what can we do for Him. He is our bread. Without Him, everything is nothing but flour and eggs.

Dear Lord, thank you for putting your wings around us and protecting us from the evil of this world. We realize that we have to live in this world, but we are not part of it because of Jesus dying of the cross. You are the true bread of life and without you we are nothing at all. Thank you for loving us so much and giving us your word and your promise. A promise that says that you stand in between us and evil and we need to be anxious for nothing. You are the bread and you are the wrapper around it as well. You are even the twisty tie that binds it all together. Lord, we are nothing without you and we love you. AMEN

1 comment: