Friday, July 10, 2009

In This City

Matthew 25:35 For I was a hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Did you know that there are over 750,000 people homeless each night in the United States? And it is increasing EACH DAY. With the economic crunch, there are thousands of men and women losing their jobs. Facing questions like, “How am I going to pay the mortgage?” “How can I tell my family that we don’t have any food?” “Lord, why did you let this happen to me?” This is truly, truly a time of faith testing. Not only for the people that are without, but also for the people that are with.

Several years ago I was living on my own. Not really a care in the world. Not paying much attention to anything going on in the world, much less my city. I went to the same job every day, talked to the same friends every day, watched the same shows every day. Then one day, on my way home, God showed me something. It was a homeless man that had housed himself on the side of a 7-11. Well, of course I had seen this man every day, but not paying attention. But God had something else planned for me that particular day. He told me to stop and go and talk to this man. I of course, did not. How crazy was that? How dangerous? Surely this is not what God wants me to do. But God kept on and did not let up. He reminded me of the verse – Be careful as you do not know if you are entertaining an angel. (Yes, it does say that in the Bible) So I stopped. I got to know the man. I am not convinced that he was an angel. Actually he was more than a little…off. I really did not understand him that much, but he had a good heart. I began to stop more frequently and gave him food, toothpaste and such. I prayed for him and had others pray for him. I actually found myself worrying about him when it rained. Then one day, out of the blue, God told me that I did not have to visit this homeless man anymore. When I passed him again….God had sent someone else to take care of him. Someone else that most likely had the same story that I did.

The Bible specifically tells each of us to “Go, heal the lepers, cleanse the sick, feed the poor” He wasn’t just talking to his 12 disciples. He was talking to each of us. I bet that you know someone who is down and out. Someone who has lost a job. Someone who is struggling to pay their bills and afraid that they are going to be kicked out of their home. Or, you just pass by a homeless person every day and look at them in pity or judgment like I did. I challenge you today, stop what you are doing and pray. Ask God to tell you what He wants you to do. Ask how you can fulfill His will here on earth. I guarantee you, He will answer. You may be saying to yourself – Yeah, but I am kinda in the same situation. Pray. Be obedient. Trust God. He will take care of your needs. Let Him change your heart.

Greater things are still to come. Greater things are yet to be done in this city. You have the ability to change it.

Dear Lord, I come before you a humble servant. I ask that you continue to touch my heart and the hearts of the people reading this that each of us hear your voice and are obedient to your commands. There are so many people out there hurting Lord. So many people out there lost. Waiting for someone, anyone to come by and just ask them what their name is. Lead each of us Lord to where You want us to go. Show us who You want us to pray for or to reach out to Lord. You are the one in control. We trust and lean on You. Lord, you said that You will never leave us for forsake us and that You will take care of our needs. Thank you Lord, for being so loving and gracious and merciful. In Your precious name. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment